Friday, October 12, 2012

LOL #19


I just need know right now if anybody out there under the age of 35 knows what book is in the photo above! 

This week's LOL is more like a little chuckle to myself.  Let me set the stage. The time is mid-morning and I'm sitting at my desk at work editing my school's website.  When I look up from my computer, around my desk, out my office window and into the vast expanse of library space, I see: 1 circulation computer, 6 student computers, 1 laptop by my side, 1 document camera to my left, 30 computers in an attached lab, 1 LCD projector, 1 smart board, 5 laptop carts, 1 iPhone, 1 piece of chocolate cake, 1 ice cream cone, 1 pickle... (sorry, I digress - I couldn't resist the Eric Carle mode I had going on there).  Needless to say, I'm sitting at my desk engulfed by technology.

I'm typing new information on the site; I think I may have misspelled a word, my chair swivels, and I grab the above pictured dictionary off of the bookshelf behind me!  Suddenly, it dawned on me that I couldn't remember the last time I actually looked up a word in a book-in-hand, paper-paged dictionary!  Online dictionaries have become commonplace to me.  I chuckled aloud.  I was surrounded by technology and I grabbed the physical dictionary!  My next thought was, "Hey, this feels good in my hands - the feel of the shiny, hard cover; the crisp pages, the print slightly raised."  Seeing those pages filled to the brim with word after word after word - all of those words that are just waiting to be spelled or spoken or spewed from our speech.  An appreciation, I guess, only experienced by word junkies such as myself.

Makes me wonder - what else have I replaced with technology that maybe, just maybe, might need a revival every now and then?

No comments:

Post a Comment