Friday, June 22, 2012

LOL #7


Anyone that knows me well, knows that I am all about traditions.  Most of them I intentionly create as a shameless ploy to make such an impact on my children that they will be persuaded to return home to me once I am old just because they miss the traditions so much!  We shall see if it works.

This week's LOL photo, though, comes from one of our traditions that was born out of frugality and ingenuity; and it just happened to be a hit with my three kiddos and many others. It's called Poolmix!

Those that have kiddos and spend any amount of time at the swimming pool during the summer know that swimming = hungry children!  So, several years ago we were preparing to go to the pool and I began packing and looking for the necessary rations required for premium backstrokes.  What did I find?  Absolutely nothing except a hodge podge of food stuff.  So, I did what any resourceful mother does, I started pulling pantry goods, put it all together in a bowl, mixed it up, bagged it, carried it along to the pool, gave it a cool name, and sold the concept to my hungry children!  It was an instant success not only with my three but also with all the hungry munchkins walking by our table during pool break time!

A tradition was born.  Each summer since, my kids seem to mark the official beginning of swim season with the arrival of none other than "Poolmix."  This week the pool season became official - Poolmix arrived, smiles were abundant, and hoops and hollers were a plenty. 


Here are the contents of our Poolmix if you want to give it a try - or just find what's in your pantry and add as much as you want!

Pretzel sticks
Mini Marshmellows
Chocolate Chips
Cheerios
Raisins
Skittles

Not only is it yummy to eat but it's also fun to watch the kids take the various contents of the mix and create tiny barbells, wheels and axles, hammers, ...  Nothing but smiles at the Poolmix table!

No comments:

Post a Comment