Monday, June 11, 2012

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

Mary may not be her name but contrary is often her game!  My hubby and I have often thought of our little nutter butter as our extreme child - extremely good and loving or extremely stubborn and challenging.  I must give her credit though, she has gotten much better with age.  Years birth through five, though, were crazy - which earned her the nickname of Crazy J during that time. She was our only climber, our only nonstop screamer in the car seat, our only non-sleeper, our only hair cutter, our only one to cause us to call poison control... I could gone on.  Finally, I quit getting so upset and just started taking photos of her slathered in lotion, mascara, flour, or Desitin so I could one day share her exciting shenanigans with her own sweet darlings.

Back in February, I heard a little voice from the back seat of the car say, "Mommy, can we plant a garden this year?"  Ok, so what kind of self-respecting mother could say "NO!"  Needless to say, here we are in June and our little patch of garden is planted.  

We have decided to take photos along the way, well, because it's fun and because she is my one that shares my love of photography.  When it's all said and done, we will make a book from the photos and the details she writes. I must say, we are enjoying ourselves and our first attempt at a vegetable garden - even though we know nothing about growing a garden.

So, how does our garden grow?  With cucumbers and strawberries because everyone in our family likes them; jalapenos, cilantro and Roma tomatoes because I make salsa that the kids really like; corn because what garden or summer would be complete without corn on the cob; yellow pear tomatoes, well, just because I wanted to; and miniature gourds and pumpkins because we love them in the fall!

The one last item we are growing - absolutely fabulous memories!



Planting corn
  


Making room for the pumpkins!





No comments:

Post a Comment