Saturday, June 30, 2012

LOL #8

According to a publication called 40 Years of the US Interstate Highway System: An Analysis the Best Investment a Nation Ever Made by Cox and Love, Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the Federal Aid-Highway Act of 1956 on June 29, 1956.  This act authorized the interstate highway system which included 41,000 miles of high quality highways that would connect the nation.  Congress later increased the length of miles to 42,500. 

Interstate 40 is the third longest east-west interstate highway in the United States.  This highway spans a little more than 2, 555 miles and crosses the US from Barstow, California to Wilmington, North Carolina. It is on I-40 that I drive approximately 15,000 - 20,000 miles per year.  Wow!  I could drive cross country about ten times per year!  Have I said before that I spend a huge amount of time in my car?  

This week's LOL photo comes from a scene I saw on I-40 this week.  My family was driving back from a long weekend trip and suddenly this truck with it's makeshift cattle pen passed us by - the cow just stared at us.  Of the many objects I have seen hauled in the bed of a pick up truck, a cow is not one of them!  It was also quickly obvious that the weight and movement of the transient bovine was a little much for the power of the chevy pick up!  It was quite the comical scene.

This prompted the sharing of other I-40 related vehicles that I have photographed over the past month.  All photos were taken with my trusty pocket cam and mostly while either I or the other vehicles were on the move so please excuse the less than stellar quality and just enjoy a good chuckle!

The previously mentioned publication also stated that the interstate highway system "has permitted the cherished freedom of personal mobility to flourish."  Based on these photographs, I think I would have to agree.

Seriously, is Cheetos paying this dude to drive around with their name across the side of his jacked up Chevy Impala?
My daughter's words when I whipped out the pocket cam for this shot, "Oh Mother, please!"
I must say, this one gets an A+ for Most Original Use of Duct Tape!

4 comments:

  1. My own LOL - I let Evelyn hold the phone, and somehow she changed my background to the Wolverine car! These are hilarious. I like the cow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Not sure what that says about her future??? :-)That's funny! I must say that the duct tape car was most impressive in person - someone really invested some time there!

      Delete
  2. I think the duct tape is pretty cool looking. I bet Rob would get really upset if I tried that; he doesn't even like a bumper sticker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They obviously spent a large amount of time on it - it was nicely done and the car wasn't even a junker or anything. Yeah, I'm with Rob on the bumper sticker thing!

      Delete