Friday, June 8, 2012

LOL #5


This week's LOL photo is of an object that put a wide smile across my face - the kind of smile that slowly spreads and pushes the cheeks high toward the eyes.  The kind of smile that comes from a soft, sweet memory.  The kind of smile that is triggered by a song, a person, or an object.  The kind of smile that accompanies a fond time way in the backdoor of the mind.

Today, I left my son's fifth grade awards ceremony and was quite reminiscent, I must say, of the times, gone by so quickly.  I left there and stopped at Home Depot to look for pumpkin seeds to add to the garden that my little one and I are growing this year.  I, of course, couldn't resist walking through all the plants and flowers on my way back from the seeds.  I stopped in my tracks at the sight of the bright red geraniums.  It was then that I smiled, bigger and bigger.

Suddenly, I remembered that my grandmother always planted red geraniums in front of the Vance Drive house.  Oh, those flowers took me back through memories - my grandfather working in his roses, the big maple tree I used to climb, the giant hill behind the house that was perfect in the snow, the rock wall that lined the driveway and mimicked a balance beam, the weeping cherry tree that pulled double duty as my playhouse...  The smiles kept coming with each sweet memory.

The geraniums in the shot above now have a new home - the front of my house.     

No comments:

Post a Comment