Saturday, February 22, 2014

I wish that we had duck feet...


It's a carefree shopping day, maybe with a friend, maybe by myself.  I'm, of course, stopping by the shoe department because what shopping day would be complete without trying on a pair of shoes.  I can't resist - even though I already have two of the same color in my closet.  They are a great buy so I add them to my collection.  I arrive home, anxious to see how this newest pair will look with just the right outfit.  As I walk into the house and before I can put down my bags, I trip over a giant size 10 1/2 pair of Vans that belong to my 13 year old - my middle-one-of three.  I look down at my bags, I'm not carrying shoes at all! I'm carrying 15 grocery bags on each arm.  I was dreaming - dreaming of a shopping experience BK - before kids.



Now don't get the hangman's noose out yet.  I'm not at all saying that I would trade for one single solitary second my life with my three crazy kiddos for anything in the world, but I did have a ridiculous thought yesterday that completely took me by surprise. My thought - I wish we all had duck feet!

Seriously, I was standing with broom in hand thinking to myself that I wish no one in my house ever had to wear shoes!  The one fashion item that I really had always loved shopping for, even when I didn't need them - especially when I didn't need them!  These very same fashion items have become my nemesis!  I trip over them, I sweep around them when I don't feel like moving them, I harp to my children about picking them up!  Years ago I created a "solution" to house them in one spot to avoid the tripping, the dodging, and the harping.  It's not working!


The shoes spill over and out of the crates and out of the closet. Fights ensue because oldest one-of-three can't seem to keep her shoes out of middle one-of-three's crate!  Youngest one-of-three never seems to find her shoes in her crate because she forgets to put them there to begin with!  Then when the rule is enforced, socks seemed to get stripped off with the shoes and end up in the closet and not the laundry!  The problems just compound.


Shoes everywhere!  Tennis shoes, snow shoes, mocassins, sandals, Crocs, wedges, work boots, cleats, ballet shoes, flats...  They never end and they never find their homes.  As I type, middle one-of-three's slippers are at my feet.  I wish we all had duck feet!  How much easier would that be??  No shoes required means nothing to trip over, nothing to sweep around or pick up before sweeping.  Nothing to harp on with my kiddos.  Nothing to stink up the mud room. No fights that ensue.



But then, no shoes means no cute boots to go with that just right dress or great pair of jeans.  No polka dots to cheer me on the rainy days.  No red heels to make me feel great on date with the hubster.  No perfect wedges to go with that great summer dress.



Ok - maybe I don't wish we all had duck feet.  It took a few photos to help me remember how much fun shoes really still are.  Maybe, just maybe, I wish THEY all had duck feet.  Ok, so maybe not. :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment