Saturday, February 25, 2012

1987 Called

Vintage, antique, classic, venerable, mature - in simplified terms, old.  Anybody that knows for me any length of time can tell you that I love old things. Other than the fact that I've gotten very accustomed to technology and medical advancements, I truly think I would enjoy living in the past.  But since no time travel machines are waiting in my driveway, I will settle for some artifacts from the past to satisfy a nostalgic spirit.
Both of my older two children are utterly embarrassed to be seen in public in my 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.  My youngest loves it though because it is circa sans airbag and she can sit in the front with me.  I aquired this fine automobile about four years ago because I have a wonderful husband who indulges my fasination with the past.  That, and he likes old cars himself.  I do not have the collector gene nor does he, thank goodness; but I have always told him that if we somehow became independently wealthy, we would collect old cars!
I'm not sure what it is about the Wagoneer that appeals to me.  I have always liked them.  Maybe because it represents the classic family car - one of the first SUVs to pack up the family and drive to the lake or the beach.  It's a star when it comes to movies and TV shows.  I remember watching Baby Boom when Diane Keaton's character says goodbye to the corporate world, packs up her Wagoneer, moves to the country into an old farmhouse (which I would also love!), and strikes it rich making homemade baby food!  I mean, really, how much simpler could life get?
For now, I'll keep driving my classic Woody which is ironically, woodless.  And when my mortified children say, "Mom, 1987 called and wants its car back," my response will be, "It's not for sale."
My 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer


Our Georgia dog and the Wagoneer


No comments:

Post a Comment