Friday, March 2, 2012

Seussical Sweetness

Baking has always been fun for me.  Now that I have three kids, I realize just how fantastic my mom was to let me take out her big recipe book and choose something to bake.  Being that my sweet tooth probably comes from my dad, he was always ready to be the taste tester.  I'm sure some desserts were more delectable than others though; even so, my efforts were always praised.

Today is a special day in the elementary library land where I spend a large portion of my day - Dr. Suess' birthday.  I found the idea for the Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes online (I'm rarely orginal) and couldn't resist making them to celebrate one of my all time favorite authors. Theodor Geisel, Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg... regardless of what he's called; his crazy rhythms and rhymes are so appealing to me. 

Of course, I had to get my camera out once the cupcakes were finished and try out my newest lens.  While I am fairly addicted to my zoom, I'm also learning to love my Canon 50mm.  It's low light and aperture advantages are helping it to quickly become a favorite as well.

Overall, a fun evening - baking in the kitchen (with my sweet little 8 year old helper), Seussical rhythms and rhymes, and snapping a few fun shots.



If your a Seuss fan as well - try your hand at the quiz below:

1.      What was Dr. Seuss's real name?
A.    Thomas Seuss
B.     Theo LeSieg
C.     Theodor Geisel
D.    Leonard Seuss

2.      Where was Dr. Seuss born?
A.    San Diego, California
B.     Springfield, Massachusetts
C.     Helena, Montana
D.    Sioux City, Iowa

3.      Dr. Seuss earned a degree at Dartmouth College and Oxford University.
A.    True
B.     False

4.      Which of these books was the first Dr. Seuss book published?
A.    The Cat in the Hat
B.     How the Grinch Stole Christmas
C.     Green Eggs and Ham
D.    And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street

5.      Dr. Seuss was once challenged to write a book using only 50 words. What was the name of the book?
A.    Green Eggs and Ham
B.     Hop on Pop
C.     One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
D.    Horton Hatches the Egg

6.      Dr. Seuss was married twice.
A.    True
B.     False

7.      Which of these awards was not given to Dr. Seuss?
A.    Academy Award
B.     Emmy Award
C.     Pulitzer Prize
D.    Caldecott Medal

  
8.      How did Dr. Seuss serve his country during World War II?
A.    He made army training films.
B.     He wrote and illustrated army training manuals.
C.     He volunteered for the USO.
D.    He fought in North Africa and was wounded.


   9.      In what year did Dr. Seuss die?
A.    1989
B.     1991
C.     1995
D.    1998

10.  In 2000, "Publishers Weekly" compiled a list of the best-selling children's books of all time. Which Dr. Seuss book was in the top five?
A.    The Cat in the Hat
B.     Oh, the Places You'll Go!
C.     Green Eggs and Ham
D.    There's a Wocket in My Pocket!

11.  All of the following were pen names used by Dr. Seuss except
A.    Theo LeSieg
B.     Pete the Pessimist
C.     Teddy McG.
D.    Dr. Seuss

12.  Which of the following statements is NOT true about Dr. Seuss’ high school years?
A.    Latin was the only subject in which he made straight A’s.
B.     He withdrew from his art class after only one hour.
C.     He was the manager of the soccer team.
D.    He played the mandolin and helped organize the mandolin club.

2 comments: