Thursday, March 29, 2012

Me and my shadows...


Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall
Like the seashore clings to the sea
Like you'll never get rid of your shadow
You'll never get rid of me

Let all the others fight and fuss
Whatever happens, we've got us.
 
I haven't been on my bike in quite some time, not for a real ride anyway.  Yeah, I go for an occassional ride through the neighborhood with the kids, but I haven't been on one of those long rides that make me feel like I've really accomplished something.

All three of my kiddos have taken their turn on the back of my bike.  The timing was quite perfect actually.  Just as one was getting too big for the seat on the back of my bike and onto their own pedal-powered ride, the next was ready to take their place.  My third, however, probably racked up the most mileage along the way.  She is the one with me in the photo above.  We were riding on a neighborhood trail around sunset when I snapped this shot.  

I have fond memories of riding with my shadows.  Many miles of songs that have been sung, ABCs that have been learned, trees and flowers that have been identified, animals that have been greeted, raindrops that have been felt.  All while pedaling away.

All three of my shadows are now too big for the back of my bike.  In fact, the bike seat is long gone with the last yard sale.  But even though they are not riding right behind me, I still remind myself that they are my shadows.  Good or bad, they are mirroring my movements.  I hope more good than bad.  It's difficult to tell sometimes as they get older, but tonight was reassuring.

My older daughter says, "I really love you, and I don't want anything this time!" 
My look tells her I'm not so sure. 
"No really," she says, "all my friends complain about their parents and I tell them all the time I really like my mine." 
Not bad for year thirteen - I'll take it!

Me and my shadow...
...Not a soul can bust this team in two
We stick together like glue


No comments:

Post a Comment