Monday, April 2, 2012

Head Shots


At one of my daughter's U14 soccer games this past weekend, I counted a minimum of 21 headers!  I say minimum because I kept getting caught up in the game and forgetting to count.  Even so, I am really quite surprised that the girls are so willing to use their heads to move that soccer ball down the field or to gain the advantage.  They will even try headshots into the goal.  I thought about trying it just to see how it feels; but then, I thought again.

While I'm not too interested in participating in headshots in soccer, I am all about using my camera for those up-close-and-personal photos of my subjects.  For these shots, I usually gravitate to my 55-250mm zoom.  That way, I don't have to be super close to my subject and they seem to relax a little more when I'm a little further away.

That closeness which enables the viewer to almost peer straight into the subject's thoughts is what makes the headshot appealing to me - leaving me wondering what could they possibly be thinking?  The headshot above is of the most incredibly sweet canine I have ever in my life met.  Lucy was our family's constant companion for a little over 12 years - faithful, loyal, and true.  She had a calmness about her quiet manner that said she was perfectly content to do nothing but be our side.  This is my favorite shot of her; she was slower and grayer from age when I took this headshot but those eyes never changed in all 12 of her years.  It's those eyes that won over the dog skeptics, even the cat lovers. 

It's the eyes that speak volumes; the eyes in a headshot that draw us in - take a look...







No comments:

Post a Comment