Sunday, April 15, 2012

Right Angles


In no way shape or geometric form is the title of this blog indicating that I am writing about anything along the parallel lines of arithmetic.  Numbers and I do not get along - my mind just doesn't work that way.  The only numbers that I have learned to co-exist with are those of the Dewey decimal variety.  I have always told my students and my children that I could write them an amazing word problem but solving it is entirely a different matter altogether!

Recently, I have been playing with angles in my photos.  The right angle can make all the difference in how interesting a photo looks.  While some like that perfectly straight horizon, I particularly enjoy the tilted angle as seen in the photos above. 



This shot of my oldest was taken from above.  I think this overhead angle definitely opens up the subject's eyes. And although she doesn't need it, it can also prevent those unwanted extra chins. 
    

 



In these two shots, I've tried looking at objects in a different way by parking myself in a very low spot and angle the camera upward.  I love the bark on the tree and the upward angle emphasizes its interesting texture.

Looking at something or even someone in a different way really isn't as simple to do as it seems.  Using this technique in photography reminds me that I also need to do the same in other areas of my life.  It's so easy to view situations from my familiar angle but not so much when the angle is outside of my comfort zone. 

My husband asks me on a weekly basis if I have thought of a unique business idea for us to start.  So far, my answer is no.  The right angle on a business makes all the difference as well.  That's why I have to share the photos below of one of our area's local businesses.  The idea behind this business is fantastic.  It is a drive through convenient store business.  Not a convenient store with a drive through window, I'm saying that I can literally drive my car through the store.  An employee walks up to my driver window, asks me what I need, I tell him, he retrieves it, and I pay - all from the comfort of my car!  I never have to get out.  Rain, snow, sleet, hail, tornado -regardless,  I am perfectly safe and dry.  Now that is convenience!  It's a business genius - the right angle. 





No comments:

Post a Comment