Tuesday, September 11, 2012

LOL #17


I love college towns.  I haven't, however, exactly pinpointed the attraction I have to them.  I think it's a bit of nostalgia and tradition that goes along with them.  Mix that in with the academia that surrounds the campus.  Through in the flashback to youth.  Add a dollop of old traditional houses and mature trees lining both sides of street usually named College Street. And finally, top it all off with a giant pink elephant wearing sunglasses!

This past weekend my family and I drove over 1700 miles in a round trip to attend a family event.  This week's LOL photo was part of that long, long trip.  My husband graciously (or selfishly, I'm not sure which) stopped along the way to look for a WalMart after we discovered that the AC adapter we had for the car wouldn't power my laptop.  He was either being very nice and humoring me or really didn't want to hear me whine for next 1500 miles.  I'm going with his generosity and graciousness.

When we stopped, the town happened to be Cookeville, TN - home to Tennessee Tech University - land of the Golden Eagles and apparently, land of the giant pink elephants as well!  This blushing pachyderm stands along side one of the main streets into town.  Behind her are some small businesses which don't seem to have any connection to pink elephants.

The librarian in me had to research, of course, and I came up with nothing but some other photos of her, sometimes donning a bikini and standing atop a pair of water skis.  When I couldn't find any information explaining her existence, I went to a source that I thought might be able to help - the Cookeville Chamber of Commerce.  I sent them an email asking about the lovely pink animal and the next day had a very nice reply!

Here's what she said:
The Giant Pink Elephant was purchased by the owners of the first shop that went in that location.  A children's clothing store "The Pink Elephant" thus the name and the landmark.  The store closed a few years ago but the elephant remains.
She then bade me "best wishes for a wonderful week!"  I've got to give kudos to the Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce - informative, courteous, and prompt!  Like I said, I love college towns...

No comments:

Post a Comment