Friday, December 14, 2012

Jump In

At approximately 1:30 this afternoon, I was driving home from the pediatrician's office for the third time this week.  To be completely honest, I wasn't happy about it.

At approximately 1:30 this afternoon,  I was driving home from the pediatrician's office for the third time this week when I heard the horrific announcement on the radio - a senseless and asinine act of cowardice had occurred in our country.

At approximately 1:30 this afternoon, I was driving home from the pediatrician's office for the third time this week when suddenly I was overcome with gratitude that I had made the three trips to the pediatrician's office with two of my three precious children.







I have been tragically reminded today that I am thankful - thankful for:
  • the socks continually left on my living room floor
  • the toothpaste in the sink that just seems to never get washed down the drain
  • the never ending laundry
  • the soccer shin guards that are so smelly we have to roll the windows down to make it to the game
  • the empty cup that is always left on the counter instead of the sink from a quick drink of water before bedtime
  • the arguing voices 
  • extracurricular activities every night of the week, even when I'm tired
  • having to repeat myself over and over
  • the bathroom hand towel that never gets put back on the towel ring
  • an empty toilet paper holder
  • Lego pieces that really hurt my foot when I step on them
  • the sticky syrup that never seems to get wiped off the kitchen table...


I asked my husband a few weeks ago if I would be a scrooge if I didn't put out all the Christmas "stuff" simply because I didn't want to clean it up afterwards.  Last weekend, we picked out a tree and the boxes came out of the attic.  We managed to get the tree decorated but all week, we've been walking around red and green plastic storage bins.  

Tonight, I jumped in - jumped in with both feet.  Stockings are up, Christmas books are out, Nativity scenes are set, the second tree is up and decorated, Christmas plates are displayed...  Our halls are decked!  Perspectives, they can change in an instant.

Tonight, I jumped in - I listened more intently, I hugged a little tighter, kissed an extra smooch, watched and prayed as children slept...

Tonight and tomorrow and the next day, jump in -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment