Sunday, August 5, 2012

LOL #13

One minute and forty-five seconds of nothing but out-loud laughing with a few screams thrown in - that was the scene this weekend just before I snapped this week's LOL shot of my nutter butter and me with my trusty pocket cam, a.k.a. iPhone 4.  

Our family along with some good friends, who my children think are family, spent a fun day at Hershey Park in my hubster's home state of Pennsylvania.  My first ride for the day at about 10:40 AM was on their historic wooden roller coaster called Comet.  The ride isn't at all their most popular.  It has long been surpassed by several behemoth steel coasters that defy gravity, drop from extreme heights, and barrel roll riders into oblivion. 

Regardless, the Comet was my pick of the day!  About half way into my one minute and forty-five second ride, I had a revelation.  I couldn't remember the last time I had laughed and screamed with such unbridled enthusiasm!  It was my little nutter butter's first big roller coaster (she finally surpassed that 48" height requirement) and she and I were having a blast.

Throughout the day, we experienced a wide array of other rides and coasters but to me, none quite compared.  Maybe it was just that I love "old school" or maybe it was just because it was our first ride for the day that started the laughter and screams - either way, when we were dragging our feet at about 10:40 PM and my nutter butter says, "Can we ride the Comet one more time?"  you know what I did!  One more minute and forty-five more seconds of nothing but out-loud laughter and screams! 

Comet Stats (courtesty Coasterpedia)

Park Hersheypark
Location Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
Opened 1946
Manufacturer Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters
Type Wooden
Riders per train 24
Riders per hour 950
Height 84 feet (25.6 meters)
Drop 78 feet (23.8 meters)
Top speed 50 mph (80.5 km/h)
Length 3,360 feet (1,024 meters)
Duration 1:45

No comments:

Post a Comment