Wednesday, August 29, 2012

LOL#16

Oh how a good long thinking-walk cures the writing muse blues!  The past two weeks for our family have been a flurry, no, make that a blizzard of activity.  I went back to work after my teacher summer hiatus - that in itself was a slight snowstorm.  My oldest one-of-three started high school; my middle one-of-three started middle school; and my little nutter butter is rapidly becoming not-so-little as she enters third grade.  Soccer is back into full swing with tournaments and practices, ballet is back to keeping us on our toes, and LAX emails are filling my inbox.  

Logistically keeping up with all these changes has seemed to be the easy part compared to the myriad of emotions I've been keeping up with inside of me as I watch my children take great running leaps and bounds toward independence.

Tonight, at one of those soccer practices, I turned on my pedometer app and took off.  Now, keep in mind that this sports complex is fairly large and heavily populated about every day of the week.  It has a large walking course that tonight was good medicine for me.  On my third lap, I heard an interesting noise in the distance.  No, not the cheers of parents as their little soccer stars performed Olympic worthy plays nor was it the crack of football pads hitting together as little tikes ran plays worthy of the Heisman.  Instead, it was a loud and resonant cock-a-doodle-doo from none other than the proud rooster who so willingly posed for my LOL photo this week!

The comedy kept coming.  As I got closer to the sound, I understood the adage, birds of a feather...  Seriously, how often can one find numerous chickens peck, peck, pecking away at the edge of soccer field? Other than the proud rooster, the feathered little guys were quite camera shy so it was handy to have my DSLR and trusty 55-250mm in the car. 




The icing on my comedy cake this evening was the sign posted right at the pedestrian crossing on the walking course.  I have come to the conclusion that these must be some pretty smart chickens.  Rare reading chickens to be exact.  They have every right to be exactly where they are!  Because they most definitely were not included in the sundry of prohibited items for this track.  And tonight, I was so glad they weren't! 


No comments:

Post a Comment