Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dare to Imagine


Imagination: noun - the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present

Going through life without imagination is an unfortunate reality for many adults. That confuses me though.  Children have incredible imaginations so when does the disconnect occur?  In some, I think it occurs all too early.  Some are told, not really in words but in actions, at a very young age that their imaginations aren't possible - their dreams not able to become realities, their aspirations too grand. I, too, sometimes catch myself in their camp - telling myself, "It's not possible, not imaginable."

I have had the incredible opportunity throughout much of my adult life to work with people in various locations of the globe who dare to tell and show children the exact opposite.  They foster an environment of acceptance and celebration of ideas and successes, no matter how small - how seemingly insignificant. They dare to imagine what many think impossible - that they can make difference.

Who are these incredible souls?  Are they writers? philosophers? politicians? doctors? lawyers? celebrities? professional athletes?  No.

They are teachers; they are office staff; they are administrators; they are teacher assistants; they are social workers and counselors.  They are those who dare to imagine.  They are a school staff.

So I ask myself.  What separates them from the masses?  What keeps their imaginations thriving?  My answer, hope.  They continue to imagine that what they do makes a difference because of hope.

Today, I received an incredible reminder that I must continue to imagine that I can make a difference.  That reminder is pictured above.  The contents of the book have nothing to do with teaching.  But it's the incredible gesture of kindness behind the book, a gift from someone who continues to imagine that she can make a difference. Imagination makes all the difference.  "It is possible, it is imaginable!"

No comments:

Post a Comment