Wednesday, May 23, 2012

LOL #3

 The time was the summer of 1993.  The place was my apartment in Georgia.  My neighbors living in the apartment next door to mine were a nice elderly couple.  I remember the gentleman being particularly kind and thoughtful to his wife who suffered from various health issues.  I was inside my apartment waiting for my boyfriend to come pick me up.  Can't really remember where we were going, no place special really, just hanging out.

Doorbell rings; I answer; boyfriend is standing on the stoop with a big bouquet of flowers!  Wow!  I'm thrilled - flowers.  I really didn't think he was the flower type! (I mean I'm really not either - not out-of-the-ground flowers anyway.) But he thought enough about me to bring me flowers.  What girl wouldn't be excited?  I ooohed, I ahhhed, I swooned - well, maybe not swooned; but regardless, I really made over the fact that he brought me flowers. 

His honest nature must have been cringing because it didn't take him long to tell me, "Well, I didn't really buy them." 

I say, "Oh, okay." 

"Well," he says, "your neighbor gave them to me." 

With a perplexed expression, I'm sure, I state, "My neighbor?"

"Yeah, he was headed to the dumpster with them and saw me.  So he told me they still looked pretty good, why not give them to you!"

Yes, used flowers that were headed for the dumpster.  That's what he gave me.

Flash forward to 2012.  This summer, 18 years later,  I'm still married to that "charming" man.  Yes, I married the man that gave me used flowers.  Sure do love that honest guy!

Today, I was walking down a sidestreet of town.  I passed by a city trash can with, you guessed it, discarded flowers sticking out of the top.  Oh, it made me laugh out loud!  I did an about face, walked back to my car, and grabbed my camera. 

1 comment: