Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Black Bear, Black Bear What Do You See?

As one that spends over 180 days each year in elementary libraryland, I am very aware that the classic Bill Martin, Jr./Eric Carle children's book title is Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? (A must have, by the way, for anyone with young children in the house or for just the children's book lovers out there!) As plainly obvious though, my bear isn't brown; it's a black bear.

I recently acquired this stuffed species of black bear as a memento of our trip to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area of the great state of Tennessee.  He's a cute little fellow and one that I know will quickly fit in with my other friends in my library zoo.  But only after I share his story.  Kids love a good story, but then again, don't we all!

Our Tennessee trip was with the majority of my husband's side of our family.  Twenty-one of us filled a big log cabin for a long weekend.  On the third full day of our stay there, most of us decided to make a trip to Clingman's Dome.  It is the third highest elevation east of the Mississippi River (only by four feet I might add).  We had already driven and then climbed to the peaky top and peered out at the other mountain tops below and had begun our trek back down the winding roads of the Smoky Mountains.  Upon waking from my quick nap in the car, I discovered that we had pulled into an area with a trail that would lead to waterfalls.

Some balked at the additional walking just to see some water falling over rocks, but even though I hadn't worn my hiking flip flops, I said, "Why not?  How often do you get to see a waterfall?" 

The trail was...ummm...let's just say while the scenery was gorgeous, I should have most definitely packed my hiking flip flops.  But we made it, all twelve of us.  We oohed and aahed, we photographed water running over rocks, we sat and watched others, my kiddos sufficiently soaked themselves and had managed a few new scrapes and bruises, and then we all decided the time was right to head back.  After all, we had 1.4 rocky miles to walk back - at least it was downhill.

Our little nutter butter and I were in the lead on the way back down; the other ten were close behind.  As she and I turned a corner on the trail I heard the crack of a breaking twig in the woods - deer, I thought.  I soon heard the hubster say to my nephew the hunter, "Dan, what do think's in those woods that would have made that loud crack?"  I kept walking, paying it no mind - again, deer is what I thought.

Now, I have been visiting this area of northeast Tennessee for as long as I can remember.  Upon first visiting Pigeon Forge, I vividly remember that there was absolutely nothing to do.  About the only souvenirs that could be purchased at that time were moccasins and little stuffed black bears.  These Great Smoky Mountains have long held the reputation for black bear sitings; thus, the black bear souvenirs.  Personally, though, I have never had the opportunity to meet a live black bear in the wild.

Black bear, black bear what do you see?  I see twelve tourist staring back at me!  Yes, that crack in the woods - a black bear! In our estimation, about 600 pounds worth of black bear!  All I heard and saw at first was the rest of our clan yelling bear and running around the corner that my nutter butter and I had just turned.  She picked up the pace herself and what did I do?

Well, I don't know if this classifies my as insane or as a true photographer, but I sat my camera bag down on the ground and went to unzipping as quickly as I could.  My zoom lens came out and when I saw that the hubster and his eldest brother weren't running away - I started walking toward the direction of the bear siting so I could grab a quick shot. 

Black bear, black bear what do you see?  I see a camera lens staring back at me! 




 

1 comment:

  1. I saw a bar... a bar saw me... I saw a bar... a way up thar...

    ReplyDelete