Wednesday, July 18, 2012

juhk-stuh-puh-zish-uhn

Feel free to call me a word junkie if you like, but this is one of those words that I think is just cool all the way around.  Not only do I like the meaning of the word but I just like how this word looks!  After all, it's not everyday that I get to use words that include the letter "x."

Juxtaposition - (noun) an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrast.  "Juxta" comes from Latin; meaning closely connected.  I find that definition and its origin fascinating.  If juxta means closely connected then why are items of contrast paired together to create juxtaposition?

Black and white, happy and sad, love and hate, laugh and cry - most definitely words of contrast but how could they ever be "juxta" or closely connected.  Easily, I say.  We can't experience one without knowing the other.  How can I know how great happy is if I've never experienced sad?  Ever heard of a love/hate relationship?  How about, I laughed until I cried?  Juxta!

In the world of photography, juxtaposition works like a charm to create unusual interest!  The background of the photo above is filled with wispy Queen Anne's Lace.  The foreground has the spiky straw.  The little wooden bench holds a sweet little girl - wearing soccer shoes????  Soccer shoes are the least expected item in this shot, but to me, they make the photo!  Not that it wouldn't be a nice scene without them, but with them, they complete the look on my little nutter butter's face.  "You mean to tell me I had to put on a dress and sit in these weeds to have my picture taken?"  Yep, this is her personality - juxtaposition.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment