Thursday, July 26, 2012

Terms of Endearment


Even though I'm not from Texas, I have owned several pairs of cowboys boots in my time.  My very first pair were the little red boots in the photo above.  I'm thankful that my mother has that sentimental gene (which she passed along to me) and kept them all this time.  Recently, my wonderful hubster purchased my newest pair of cowboy boots and with them came his newest nickname for me - Boots.  

In our house, nicknames are in abundance!  Doodlebug, Crazy J, Nutter Butter, Jacko, Jac-a-lac, Budrow, Booberry, G Doggie, Boo Boo... are just some of the variety that can be heard being called down the hallways of our home.  I've often wondered why after spending so much time coming up with just the perfect names for our children, we end up calling them something else.  Even every dog we've owned has had nicknames.  I've also wondered if this phenomenon is peculiar to our little clan? 

After some quick research, I am inclined to say that nicknames and their use are more widely used than not.  The term "nickname" originates from the 14th - 15th century middle English word "ekename."  "Eke" meant "also or added; additional."  So, in simple terms, an additional name.  Now, while that does explain what nickname means it doesn't explain why we use them.   

The use of nicknames can be traced all the way back to the Greeks.  (Maybe that dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was on to something after all!)  Hypocorism comes from the Greek "hypokorizesthai," to use child talk.  A hyporcorism is a lesser form of a given name used in more intimate situations, as a term of endearment, a pet name. 

When I think about that definition, it makes perfect sense.  I don't think I've ever given a nickname to someone that isn't close to my heart.  It's the intimacy that brings out the nickname, the ekename, the hypocorism - the terms of endearment.

No comments:

Post a Comment